“St. Mary’s Catholic Church, on St. Antoine street, is the pioneer German Catholic church of Michigan. It is especially notable for the excellence of its organ. Adjoining are the parochial residence and school.”
Constructed in 1884 in Victorian Gothic style, this is the present day complex that replaced the earlier 1841 church. Old St. Mary’s is the third oldest Roman Catholic Church in Detroit, and the city’s first German church. It is located in Greektown at 646 Monroe St. and referred to as Old St. Mary’s to avoid confusion with other churches.
The unknown sender of this postcard wrote: “Best wishes to you” and addressed the card to:
“Mrs. B. Willmouth, 648 Taylor St., Sandusky, Ohio.”
From the 1900 Federal Census for Sandusky, the addressee would be Bridget Wilmoth, born April 1845 in Ireland. She is married to Thomas Wilmoth (head of household) born December 1845 in Ireland. This record indicates the couple had been married for 30 years, and that Bridget is the mother of nine children (eight living). Children on this census are Anna, William; Thomas, Nellie and Johana, all born in Ohio, and age ranging from 29 to 16. The address at this time is 650 Taylor St, with a different family living next door at 648 Taylor.
Last, but not least, the postcard header contains a distinctive circular design between the words Post and Card. This is clue to the identity of the publisher, which is unknown to us at this time. We’ll keep a look out for others.
Divided back, used postcard. Postmarked October 26, 1909 from Detroit, Michigan. Publisher unknown. Series or number 155 B.
Sources: “Old St. Mary’s Church, Greektown, Detroit.” Old St. Mary’s Detroit. Web accessed April 30, 2015.
Year: 1900; Census Place: Sandusky Ward 8, Erie, Ohio; Roll: 1264; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 0047; FHL microfilm: 1241264. (Ancestry.com)